Friday, May 17, 2013

You Can Do A Lot With the Stock Light Bar


Still need to wire them all up.
On the VSTAR 650 Classic, the stock lightbar is boring, but that boring can be dressed up with a couple of clamps and some aftermarket lights. (see my earlier post.) I bought a lightbar and lights off of ebay from China thinking that would be an improvement. Well, the result was that the bar mounting holes didn't fit - likely it was for a 650 Custom - since I've made that mistake before.

I had thoughts of drilling new holes in the lightbar, but instead decided to see what I could do with the stock bar. The result is kind of funky, but I like it. That describes a lot about this motorcycle. It ain't for everyone, it's for me. That's what customizing a bike is all about, right?


Sort of a Quadrafenia look.
 Essentially, I just clamped my old driving/fog lights below and added the China lights up top. Should give me a lot of visibility going down the road. Stock lollipop turn signals are still there.

Oh, and I shot the bar and light housing of all the lights with Appliance Expoxy. Shiny black is good.

Speaking of shiny black, here's a pic of the final drive and rear wheel. Just have to lube the spines and put the new brake shoes in, then I can put it all back together. Appliance Epoxy on the drive and VHT brake caliper paint on the rear drum. I don't know if the drum gets so hot that it needs the VHT - but it is also next to the pipes. Besides, I have all whole can that I bought just for the front caliper and why take a chance?


 



No comments:

Post a Comment